Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Same-day Quick Pizza Crust

These things are usually terrible, but we really enjoyed this crust. I haven't tried recipes that call for an overnight fridge stint or high gluten flour yet, and I'm sure those will be better. However, for sudden cravings or emergency dinner plans sans takeout, this is the best crust I've made.

2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 tsp fast rising yeast, (or one envelope)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. In my stand mixer bowl, I combined 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. I whisked the ingredients together.
2. I gradually added water and oil, mixing it with a spoon until well combined. Then, as per directions, I mixed on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. At this point, you are supposed to add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of flour until the dough pulls away from the sides. It took a little over 2 cups for me, but that depends on the flour you use. Also, after initially blending in additional flour with my spoon, I changed to the dough hook and used the mixer to add flour.
4. Use the mixer to knead the dough for 8 minutes.
5. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
6. Divide dough into two pieces for two 12 inch pizzas. Do not use a bigger pan, because the crust will be too thin (I like chewy thick crust) and will cook too fast for the toppings. Stretch the dough onto the pans. I first covered mine with corn meal, which helped getting the pizzas off in the end.
7. Prick the crusts with a fork and let rise again in a warm place for 15 minutes.
8. Brush crusts with oil (I used regular cooking oil) and prebake in a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes.
9. Put on the toppings and bake at 400 degrees for about ten minutes. The top of the pizza on the top rack cooked too fast while the bottom did not, so I covered the browning crusts with foil and returned the pizza for another 6 minutes. It came out perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment